Monday, August 1, 2011

The Ikea Fro, 420 for the Princess and New Residents

So where to begin? Let's see, nothing new added really to the collection. I did eye a couple of pieces but common sense and a lack of desire to go without food overcame me and I passed up a chance to buy a complete set.


But, my biggest issue now with my PP
is, no home for them. I have temporarily solved this issue. Lucky are those who live near Ikea. I do not. Luckily, eBay let me know that someone had a pair of Ikea Fro for sale. Now, about.com had an article that I had read first. Really? I don't agree at all. These are not that flimsy. They were not difficult to put together. I did crack a window. But that was because I was putting it together and being stupid and dropped one end of the house onto the end. And crack. It was pretty simple to put together once you realize that all you need to do is to line up the bottom groove that holds a wire floor. Leave one end open to slide a floor in and bam, you are done. Like any other Ikea product, especially this one, grab your wood glue. This will get some paint later, I'm going to add more trim to create the "windows" to a truer scale and I'll replace the one broken window. Or put a miniature baseball in it.



I do plan on changing the floor in the Fro. The Fros will not be remaining a holder for my PP collection, but they are going to be dollhouse sized greenhouses or sun porches. I'll be sliding a piece of luan in there as soon as I can cut one. Then the floor will have some kind of floor. I'm torn between doing real tiling in DH size, or just investing in a nicer flooring paper or lino from HBS. Also, as you see in the picture, I'm still experimenting with trying to photograph realistic dollhouse scene. As real as possible considering it's tiny furniture and dolls anyhow.


Speaking of HBS, I did place a nice order with them. A few manuals, and some other items. One being a fireplace set up. It's a lighted one, and I bought a grate to hold it. So, the PP fireplace better brace itself. It's going to be modified this week. I've had a few people flinching over my loose talk of modifying PP pieces but really, piffle. I'm very careful to use really broke down pieces. I have a bed for example that has had it's main part removed and the satin looks like a cat played with it. That'll be stripped and recovered in purple satin. Just because I can.

I also in other news, purchased a couple new items for the eventual PP house. Until that is built, these can be part of the greenhouse displays.


First was a bong. Yeah, I know. But really, it's no secret. The only difference between mine and the picture is that I am not getting the bag of tobacco, mine will have a little bowl of "green". Those who need one themselves can find them thanks to June's Miniature Mart. I tried to get 1:6 scale, but sadly, June does not carry this size. Maude is pretty depressed over it. But her's might be getting blown by a real glass blower. So she can relax.



Maude's nose is actually pretty strongly out of joint right now. The PP furniture has a new owner coming. No name for her yet, but Maude keeps calling her "that orange haired hussy". She's not. Isn't she sweet? General opinion from the friends however, is that she is creepy.


And, last but not least. There are two props coming that are only coming because of pure irritation factor. The People will more than likely get shoved into a dresser, but the Vanity Fair is going right onto the coffee table. The
bong will sit on top of Justin's face, and there will be a stain from the bong on the cover.

My goal is, that while the furniture is vintage, the setting won't be. The house has been decided on, I just have to stop being lazy and create it in Sketch Up, and then get cracking. But you'll see modern magazines, the Blythe dolls will eventually take over the furniture, and it will be the setting for the modern 21st century. I think it'll be fun.


And I think I'm getting the hang of interiors? Yes?

No comments: